Wednesday 11 December 2013

Stumbling

stum·ble
ˈstəmbəl/
1.a. To trip and almost fall
b. To proceed unsteadily

I have been thinking a lot about stumbling lately….
We have all stumbled once or twice in our lives. If you are anything like me, you probably stumble at least once or twice per day.
 I stumble over my feet.
 I stumble over my words.
And sometimes I stumble over curbs. 
(My sad attempt at poetry)
All joking aside, these are all physical examples of stumbling that occur on a regular basis, but the stumbling that has been on my mind is mental and spiritual stumbling. 
What causes us to stumble spiritually?
The scriptures often mention stumbling blocks.
A stumbling block is a trial or an affliction that causes us to stumble.
If we all took a moment to think of things in our lives that we would consider to be a stumbling block, I’m sure we could all jot down a significantly long list. I am not the only human that is great at finding flaws in life, right?

There are two different kinds of stumbling blocks I have identified in the scriptures.
#1 Personal stumbling blocks: Things we bring upon ourselves, that set us back and get in the way of our progression in life.
#2 Divine stumbling blocks: A trial that God allows us to come upon in order for us to learn and grow, and depending on how we deal with it, will determine whether it sets us back or not.


The hope I find in stumbling, is that stumbling is tripping and ALMOST falling. There will be stumbling blocks in our lives, but we do not have to fail or fall!  Trials will slow us down, but they will not stop us on our progression toward our hopes and dreams. We can move forward and although our stride may be unsteady, it will grow stronger as we continue forward.

I know that we were sent to this Earth to learn and to grow. 
I know there will almost always be stumbling blocks in our way. 
Life isn't easy. 
But I know also know that we can find strength in Jesus Christ. 
I know that because of His love and His infinite Atonement, we do not have to fall.




-Sister Madeline Eddy 








No comments:

Post a Comment